Monday, October 14, 2013

Bakin' Breads

We have had a lot going on lately.
First off: 
We are getting our own apartment! Matt's father is in the Navy and he is signing over a full year worth of college to Matt. If he goes to classes full time, he qualifies for a $1,000 a month housing check. If we are careful with the money, this will be more than enough to cover rent, utilities, and even help substantiate our grocery bill.
I am more than thrilled, this is just the boost we need to get out on our own. 
Along my baking escapades:
I have been trying more and more recipes that are easily created without a standing mixer. The main reason for this is because there is no way my mother will let me take her 30+ year old mixer with me when I leave, so I would like to be prepared with as many recipes as possible that I can mix by hand.
Also, I have been trying my hand at baking bread without a bread machine.
I'll admit, I did use the standing mixer for this one. I am really inexperienced with bread making so I figured I would start simple and work my way into working the dough by hand.
I started with a simple French bread recipe that I found on Pinterest (My favorite lurking spot!)
Recipe courtesy of pictureperfectmeals.com

French Bread

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
30 mins
Total time
40 mins
Note that there are two rising times – 3 hours total.
Author: Cheryl Beverage Barnes
Serves: Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients
One (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the bowl
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon salt
Cornmeal, for the baking sheet
Instructions
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the yeast, water, sugar and oil. Allow to sit until frothy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low, add in the flour and salt and mix until the dough starts to come together. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Coat a large bowl with a little oil; place the dough in the greased bowl and turn to coat the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 2 hours.
Gently deflate the dough with your fist and place on a floured surface. Pat the dough into a large rectangle, about ¾-inch thick. Roll up the dough tightly to form a loaf. Pinch the edges of the dough and tuck into the roll to seal the ends. Gently roll the dough back and forth to slightly taper the ends. Place the loaf on a large baking sheet lightly sprinkled with some cornmeal. Using a sharp knife, cut ¼-inch-deep slashes across the loaf at 2-inch intervals. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush the loaf with some cold water and bake until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool.
Notes
Planning: For an extra crusty loaf, you can spritz the inside of your oven (not on the elements, though) with a little water right after you slide the bread in.
Product Purity: Use a neutral-flavored oil for this recipe, like canola.
Presentation: You can also top the bread with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or even cheese. Whisk together 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon of water and brush over the unbaked loaf. Sprinkle over your topping and bake as directed.

Happy Baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment